back in the day


please click on photo for greater detail


as you can see by yesterday's and today's post I spend a lot of time in my car. most people on long island use a car for transportation. with over seven million five hundred thousand people living here, that adds up to lots of traffic. this sign shows some examples of what early native long islanders wound up naming their roads and towns. I found this interesting page from september 29, 1900 describing old country road. I couldn't find much on plainview, though the name suggests its own explanation. and here is a brief history of hicksville. what is your favorite way to get around?
PS
don't forget, tonight is earth hour. instead of shutting off our lights for an hour, maybe long islanders should all stay off the roads instead. though I doubt that is possible!

Comments

Pietro Brosio said…
I think you have long cars queues for the heavy traffic, as we have here in Italy, haven't you?
A good weekend, Lily!
Alexa said…
Al Gore would be pretty proud of my carbon footprint, I think—because I don't drive and (at the moment) I can't afford to go anywhere in a plane.
Have a great weekend, Lily!
Babzy.B said…
HAPPY EARTH HOUR ;)
Anonymous said…
Maybe it was a town in plain view. Got it? I can't believe we're up to over 7 million, no wonder we can't move in traffic. PGma
chrome3d said…
Happy earth hour. I hope you get by the 60 minutes without an itch to blog.
Priscilla said…
Thanks, Lily, for that interesting article from 109 years ago.
Fashion Schlub said…
oh. that's the way to the home of one of my best friends...who I haven't seen in such a long time :-( I'm going to email her right now.
Daryl said…
What a good idea ... not driving for an hour .. I wonder if those who rely on their cars for even short trips to the store can give it up...

I walk almost everywhere ... bus or subway for those longer distances ...
Good idea on the staying home for an hour and keep traffic off the road. :-)

Popular Posts