jesus and friends at the metropolitan museum of art

Jesus-at-the-MET-NYC





















a funny thing happened while visiting the MET last weekend. anthony & I had gone to see some favorite paintings of ours and as I stood staring at this one, a man's voice began whispering emphatically into my ear. he implored me to notice that everyone - with the exception of jesus - was staring at the viewer. "...while jesus's gaze averts ours, ever so slightly, looking down to the side. fascinating, isn't it?", he continued. had the man not been so completely serious, I would have burst out laughing in the split second it took me to realize his voice wasn't my husbands.  I held back laughter and respectfully nodded in agreement as the man finished by whispering, "ok then, enjoy," and then quickly walked away.



Comments

Alexa said…
Often when one of the subjects in a painting is looking directly at the viewer, that's the artist's self-portrait. Guess that's not the case here—unless the artist had a seriously split personality!
Thérèse said…
That would mean that the characters in the painting see as much as we do, no less and no more...
Nice observation.
Daryl said…
a helpful observer ...
Who was the person whispering in your ear!? Kind of creepy!
dianasfaria.com said…
Hi Gail, I think he was a person who was fascinated by this painting and felt compelled to share his knowledge with me. I was a little taken aback at first but then found it more funny than anything else when I realized what had happened.

Popular Posts