elvis is in the building



























I was eleven years old when it was announced that elvis would be performing at the nassau coliseum here in long island. my brother said he'd let me go with him if I could find a way to pay for my ticket. to say I was excited was an understatement - all I had to do was find a way to get the ten dollars I needed for the ticket. maybe a week or so later & much to my  total amazement, I found a ten dollar bill lying in the street! I can still remember my brothers look of disbelief as I burst through the door shouting to all of my family that I was going to see elvis! 
 it was towards the end of 'the kings' carreer when I found myself standing on my chair throughout the entire concert that fateful evening at the nassau coliseum. but let me assure you, though he was not the outer elvis we saw in the movies, elvis' inner man did not disappoint. he was amazing.
if you'd like to see more reflections or join in the fun, please check out james of newtown area photo's wonderful weekend reflection meme. thanks james!

Comments

Sylvia K said…
What a fun post for the day, Lily! Brought back a lot of memories! Happy 4th of July! Hope you have a great weekend!

Sylvia
The man who got Elvis to do these big concerts in these grand arenas was on Larry King tonight! Hope you got to see it.

Do you think someone planted that $10 bill there?

Jan
GDP
Hilda said…
What a fun photo and story, Lily!

I would have loved to watch Elvis perform live when he was young, but I only got to see him in movies. Even through the celluloid though, his charm and appeal was magnetic.
I love this story, Lily. I can picture it all, like a short movie in my head. That excited 11-year old is still somewhere in there.
dianasfaria.com said…
Greensboro, nope, I don't think anyone planted the $10 bill.
I remember the day clearly. I went for a spur of the moment walk with my two cousins in a neighborhood that wasn't my own.
That would be pretty amazing if someone went to those lengths and kept it a secret all these years.
Now I'll have to quiz all my family members.
Fred Miller said…
Your personal story brings that picture even more to life. I was doing a lot of playing guitar and singing in my elementary school in those days. The kids in the lower grades called me "Elvis". Even today, there are men with grown children who call me "Elvis". Thanks for the memories, Lily.
mARTy said…
again a coloful and interesting photo - Thanks for sharing;-) happy weekend
Kitty said…
what a great story? How crazy is it hat you found the ten dollars in the street? geez.

I'm a huge Elvis fan, myself. I wish he could have overcome his demons and lived longer.
Carletta said…
I've always regretted not seeing him in concert.
I would love to visit this store - looks like unique objects for sale.
christopher said…
Great photos and trip down memory lane.
mari said…
One of my friends has a dog named Elvis, who at one point had to have some surgery. When he was discharged from the vet, she said, "Ladies and Gentleman, Elvis is leaving the building." Apparently no one got the joke. She was kind of upset.

But lucky you to have seen him perform. Great shot, as always!

Popular Posts