twelfth night & the 'yummy' belly bomb cake...



























tonight is 'twelfth night' the official end of the last twelve days of christmas. some people see it as a cause for celebration, though I believe most are back at work busily living in the new year. as for me, I am reliving my christmas memories while I look at the hundreds of photos I've taken in the last 12 days - this being one of them. behold, our family's traditional 'belly bomb' cake, also known as the 'famous chocolate wafer cake, ' renamed the 'belly bomb' as a result of how everyone's belly feels after indulging in a slice. actually, one slice doesn't make you feel so bad - it's the second slice that does. but who could resist? this definitely qualifies as being quite 'yummy'! if you'd like to see other representations of the letter Y, or if you'd like to add your own Y representation please visit 'abc wednesday' . 
this is what it looks like after everyone has a slice. I don't know why I didn't take the plastic wrap off for a nicer presentation! the official recipe doesn't include adding sugar to the whipping cream. I always add a small amount to taste, because let's face it, the tasting is the best part. I also add the vanilla to the cream before I whip it. here is the official recipe.

Comments

Kitty said…
oh my goodness. yikes!!
I will have to hide this post from Mark, who has an obscene sweet tooth.

I think they should bring back the 12th night concept. I don't think many people celebrate it and it's a nice idea, since xmas comes and goes so quickly.
Sylvia K said…
Oh, that looks so scrumptious, Lily! I, too, like the concept of the 12th night! Would love to see the joys of Christmas last a little longer, particularly in our rather grumpy world of today! Lovely, lovely post! Thank you!

Sylvia
Kay L. Davies said…
It looks like a kitchen bomb!
But I understand about the second slice. If it's there, I'll eat it. I don't even dare look at the recipe.
Sigh.
Great photo, plastic wrap and all.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel
YUM! This looks so good and even though I say I'm on a doet I'd have a piece if I could!

Happy 12th Night!
Joanna said…
We used to make that cake when we were kids. I just loved it. Haven't thought of it for years. Too bad I can't make it now as I'm on my annual new year's diet. I
Birdman said…
Mmmmmmmm! Ok, I just gained 5 lbs reading looking at this post!
Msb said…
That cake wouldn't last a night at our house!
yummy indeed. so keep that thing away from me!

ROG, ABC WEDNESDAY team
Louis la Vache said…
hee hee...
And in France for the Feast of the Epiphany, which is 6 January, they serve galette des rois.
HereBeDragons said…
Wow! Looks overwhelmingly sweet!
Anonymous said…
It was delicious! :-)
Christine H. said…
I keep hitting my fork against the monitor screen, thinking I might get a bite. Oh, probably just as well, although it looks so very tasty.
Anonymous said…
LOL! I love the name of this cake. I'm going to check out the recipe and make if for next 12th night. Oh, heck! I'll make it before then. ;-)
Joy said…
I can feel my arteries hardening just looking at the picture. Love the idea, perfect indulgence for Christmas.
Tumblewords: said…
Oh! I wish I could have been there! It does look beyond yummy!
Count me in! I want a slice! What a great tradition.

I wish more city daily photo sites participated in ABC Wednesday.

Happy New Year. Looking forward to another year of learning more about Long Island!

Jan
Greensboro, NC
Lori Skoog said…
Such a tasty tradition! You must be some baker.
Anonymous said…
OMG... I've never known anyone else who made/ate this cake... always a hit in our house and there's never any leftovers! YUM. I may have to make one for an upcoming bday!!

Kris

Popular Posts