the Gypsy Moth Suppression Program



























I only spotted this one nest this morning but it was all I needed to bring back memories of the Gypsy Moth invasion Long Island had back in the early seventies. The part of Farmingdale I lived in during that time had a small wooded section of land I used to ride my bike past and I remember seeing hundreds of these nests in the trees. It was a literal invasion. Though I can't remember the last time I've seen these nests anywhere on Long Island, a quick google search revealed this Wiki map proving they are well on their way to world domination.
More searching revealed a Gypsy Moth Suppression program that has been going on since the early 1900's. It turns out these caterpillars basically like to eat trees. If you look closely at the upper mid to right side part of the nest you will notice a caterpillar on its way to breakfast.
If you happen upon these hungry little caterpillars, don't touch them since their hairs can cause a rash. You can read all about Gypsy Moth Management here.
I also spotted this Lacecap Hydrangea during my early morning trail walk too, and you all know how I feel about Hydrangeas...

Comments

Popular Posts