religion


please click on photo to enlarge for greater detail


the letter for today is R, so I decided my theme for today's meme would be the word religion. I've been wanting to photograph the united methodist church in farmingdale for a while. the light seemed perfect so I finally snapped away. moments later, I happened to hear the artist Sting talking about his music being a religion to him. he then went on to explain that the word religion actually means to connect. I looked it up only to find out that yes indeed,the origins of the word religion mean to tie, fasten or bind. one thing I truly admire about long island is how many religions peacefully co-exist here. in my small town alone there are at least 8 different churches and one quaker meeting house.
please go here if you would like to see other illustrations of the letter R.
thank you mrs. nesbitt for hosting abc wednesday!

Comments

Pietro Brosio said…
When I see a church I'm always happy.
Very fine view, Lily.
Anonymous said…
I am a Catholic, and whenever I see Catholic churches, I feel great as well. Are you methodist? That church is beautiful, even from afar.

My R posts are here and here. Happy midweek to you!
That is a great shot and the church look nice! I am also a Catholic but I don't believe that people should agree about religion, it is what they do with their life, if they practice their faith.

Earth
Liz Hinds said…
It's good that religions can co-exist in a small town. maybe one day we will co-exist more happily across the world.
Hey Harriet said…
I didn't realise that the meaning for the word religion was to connect. Cool! I love learning interesting things! I also love your church photo! So the ABC Wednesday meme must be up to 's' next week? I haven't joined in yet so maybe I'll find an 's' or two during the week & play also. Something other than 'shadows' ;)
Brian said…
I love photographing churches large small they all tell different stories.

Nice photo.
It's a beautiful town church set against tah blue sky is lovely
lv2scpbk said…
That's a lovely photo.
tr3nta said…
looks like a nice quiet neighborhood... :-)
antigoni said…
Excellent, excellent, excellent choise.
Anonymous said…
You forgot the Synagogue. I'm just saying;-)PGma
huh, I never knew the root of religion....that's interesting.
ChrissyM said…
Interesting post. Gorgeous photo! There is a church that I pass on my way to work, it is such a gorgeous building I want to take a photo of it one of these days.

Thank you for sharing from the ABC Team.

Chrissy
Love this photo and it's atmosphere! I enlarged the image and could see the details... the Church and the house near it are beautiful. That neighborhood looks a very nice place to live.

Popular Posts