this is my world...


please click on this photo for added details


and this beautiful sconce at the gerald schoenfeld theatre is a big part of it. living in long island allows one easy access to broadway shows and broadwaybox.com makes it somewhat affordable. last sunday I got to see Arthur Miller's play, all my sons. I enjoyed it immensely. the play was quite sad, but the actors were all such exceptionally passionate performers, I just couldn't take my eyes off of them. they were so intense, I wondered if they must be completely drained after their performance. each one of the characters seemed to be able to draw you into the story a bit more than the last, leaving you wanting to know how it all could possibly turn out. it was so good. sad, but good.
leaving the show, we quite unexpectedly stumbled upon the stage door where the actors exit after the show. barricades were set up to allow them a free passage way in which to walk. Diane Wiest came out first, signed a few autographs and quickly got into her car, then Katie Holmes did the same. I had wanted to ask Ms. Wiest to sign my playbill, but I became starstruck as she walked right next to me! I couldn't get the question out, but I did manage to tell her she was great in the play. the autograph seekers broke into applause when John Lithgow exited and the excellent Patrick Wilson was last. I managed to get both of them to sign my playbill. they were so patient and obliging with their sharpies at the ready. in between the stage actors exiting, mary tyler moore and meryl streep both separately left the theatre as well. I'm guessing they were backstage visiting the actors from the show.
personally, I can't get enough of broadway. I think it is one of our greatest forms of entertainment ever. just seeing the show was really enough, but I had to share this experience with you because it was completely unexpected and so much fun. it also seems like this is what makes new york, NY!
if you want to see other stories from around the world, please go here.

Comments

Pietro Brosio said…
It must be a really great theatre and you had a very pleasant evening there.
About autographs, I remember the fans waited hours for the great pianist Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli's exit after his concerts, but he always disappeared! :)
Guy D said…
That is beautiful. My wife and I went to New York for our honeymoon last July and went to 6 broadway shows and I must say the theatres themselves were just as enjoyable. Architecture unlike anything I've ever seen before. I can't wait to return.

Cheers!
Regina In Pictures
Anonymous said…
Reading your post we can really feel the atmosphere ...I 'm keen on theater !
Anonymous said…
iwish i can get to see famous theaters all around the world!
Anonymous said…
Hi Lily! Broadway is such a long way from where we are at - thanks for the reminder!!

Warm greetings from West Africa,
Esther
Fashion Schlub said…
such a lovely photo...old world elegance...I love the old theaters...and thanks for sharing the story about the magical time you had there
Louise said…
How exciting! And to have that so accessible all the time. Wonderful post.
bobbie said…
I'm glad you're getting to the theater. I used to go all the time when I lived in Phila, either to the city or out to Hedgerow. Believe it or not, I never went while living on L.I., except to Westbury. Cannot imagine why now.
Lily: What an interesting story of the play and also famous actors.
Anonymous said…
Great angle you got for that shot! What fun getting glimpses of the actors, too!
A Scattering said…
I too love theatre but have never had a "stage door" experience. My husband is a freelance writer and theatre critic and we attend the Stratford Shakespeare Festival here in Ontario each year. Nothing like being there in the moment.
Anonymous said…
I love this shot. Well worth enlarging. And thanks for visiting my blog! Much appreciated.
Annie said…
Ah, New York, New York

Annie
Anonymous said…
beautiful picture.

'living IN Long Island'

I thought we all lived ON Long Island :)
Very pretty sconce. It is nice that you have the theater to attend.
Oman said…
wow. the atmosphere there must be grand.

thanks for sharing your world. you may visit mine here

have a wonderful weekend ahead. :)

Popular Posts