#tbt circa 2009 When I had 3 Kids Living at Home..


Now I only have the hairy one in between the two others pictured here. The one in the loafers is no longer a kid anymore and he's graduating from college next month! Sadly, our silver furred feline Sylvia is no longer with us - but our memories of her will always be, God rest her soul. 
She became a mother on our property. I heard her kittens mewing by our basement window as I gardened not 5 feet away. It was such a mysterious sound and when I got closer I discovered 4 newly born kittens. I felt such fear for them and their mother - who was nowhere to be seen. I kept my distance from the newborns sensing their mother knew exactly what was happening. My instincts told me that if I could do nothing else, the mother needed to be fed if her kittens were to survive. By the time I returned with provisions she had already moved her kittens. I left a large plate of food outside and watched from the window hoping she would come back. The next time I looked, there she was eating all of it and quickly. This was the day we bonded as mothers. She trusted me and I her, we were on the same page. 
Every night after, I waited for her with another plate in the same spot on our back stoop. And every night she scaled the large backyard fence at 6pm to come get her supper.
 I miss you every time I think of you sweet Sylvia. 
Wherever you are, happy Mother's Day.


Comments

Popular Posts