Saturday, July 5, 2008

Harvesting Cherries on Cherry Street



























Hmm...is this a typical Long Island activity? I can't say for sure. Maybe it's interesting because it's not so typical. Whatever the case might be I can tell you that there were easily three times the amount of what is shown here that was harvested in one Summer evening from a tiny Cherry Tree in my own backyard. Because they are quite tart, we made cherry pie too!

Please note two of my favorite people helping me pit cherries

7 comments:

MmeBenaut said...

How incredibly delicious. I remember cherry pie that I used to devour when I was 18 and spent 4 months in Vancouver, Canada. We didn't have anything like it here and I think that I put on at least 10 pounds over that time; mostly from all the pie I ate!

Arnold Layne said...

That particular cherry pie is especially good with ice cream.

Lily Hydrangea said...

I know exactly what both of you mean, I'm having trouble resisting what is left in my fridge!

Petrea said...

Wow! They're such a bright red. We bought cherries at our farmers' market yesterday and they're very dark. (Ripe, too.) I remember the pies. Mmm, pie.

Paz said...

Oh, wow! Your own cherry tree? That is so cool! Thanks for stopping by my site.

Paz

Lily Hydrangea said...

Hi paz- Our cherry tree was planted the year my niece was born 25 years ago!
Petrea, I find these cherries too tart to eat outside a pie, but that doesn't stop other people from sampling them off the tree.
Thanks for stopping by everyone.
; )

Qausi-Mom said...

good times