st. james general store




every christmas, my world includes a tradition where my son and I spend at least a couple of hours shopping for gifts in our neighborhoods country store. sadly that very store closed down this year. wondering where we could go to carry on our tradition, I luckily remembered the st. james general store. I knew that it was an old store but I didn't know it is the oldest operating general store in the united states. and it's right here on long island, though I did remember that part!
the original owners name was ebenezer smith and he built his store in 1857. it soon became the central meeting place for the surrounding community where the very first telephone was installed in their village.
out of everything in the store, I liked the old wooden floors & ceiling the best. it's
the kind of detail that lends the store its charm. my son thought the best part was their old fashioned coke bottles they kept cold and ready for paying customers. it looks like we'll be heading back that way next year. we both agreed it was definitely worth the ride.
please go here to check out other more interesting stories from all around the world.
& a big thank you to klaus, sandy, ivar, wren, fishing guy & louise for hosting this meme!

Comments

Lilli & Nevada said…
It is so sad that these old places have to close up i am wondering if its due to the economy? Glad that you found another place. Looks so nice too.
Anonymous said…
Oh yes, this is a wonderful treasure. I've been there several times and once attended an event there. Mark your calendar to check for it in the Fall or ask at the store.

I hope the area hasn't become overly developed. I love, what I call, those "little pockets" still on LI.
Babzy.B said…
Nice shop i hope you found what you were looking for ...
bobbie said…
I really love general stores. There is one in Historic Cold Spring, near us. And Wheaton Village has one. We had a little old fashioned Five and Dime in town until a couple of years ago.
Morty said…
A-a-hhh, the virues of small town life. I am absolutely a misplaced country person at heart. We will absolutely be dropping by this place before the holidays.
luvmyboys said…
What a wonderful store! We'll have to check it out.

You can almost hear the boards creaking as you step on them, in your photo.
Anonymous said…
glad you found a new place to shop.

paz
Ken Mac said…
awesome find. You can see all the love and attention they put into the place. Reminds me of Manganaro's in Hell's Kitchen, a similarly old deli.
Louise said…
I don't like last-minute shopping, but it would be worth it in a place with such charm and history. Lovely post!
Ian France said…
that place looks packed with treasures, glad you had a good time :-)
how charming ... you are fortunate to have such a place to go and shop at.
thank you for sharing the story about it.
nice post.
have a great week.
Marites said…
i love that..old stores still in business and I so love wooden floors :D i don't why..probably, because I used to live in my grandparents house with old wooden floors, it brings back memories for me. You're lucky to have that store nearby. I don't think I've seen one near us and if we have, I would've been their frquent visitor:)
tr3nta said…
what a charming place... I would love to buy there...
Pietro Brosio said…
Great charm in this store! And how many nice articles!
Anonymous said…
What a great eclectic collection of stuff! Glad you had a great days shopping.

Popular Posts