baby whale on long beach





I apologize for this sad picture. I debated as to whether or not I should post it, but my son convinced me otherwise, his argument being that this was a part of long island that was really important. I for one never knew baby whales ever beached themselves anywhere on this island. police were there and wouldn't let us get close. this photograph was taken late yesterday morning. I found an organization called coastal research and education society of long island, inc. and reported the sighting. you can go here to check out their site.
this just in, a response from the president of coastal research & education society of long island, arthur h. kopelman,

Thanks for the sighting report. In the future, if you encounter what appears to be an injured whale, dolphin, sea turtle, or seal, please also report it to the NYS Marine Mammal and Sea Turtle Stranding Program of the Riverhead Foundation (http://riverheadfoundation.org) via their hot-line at 631-369-9829. That is the "agency" to which you refer; they are the only group permitted by federal and state authority to deal with strandings in NY.

The animal you photographed wasn't a baby whale; it appears to be some kid of dolphin (a member of the group known as the odontocetes (toothed whales)). I am awaiting some further information from my colleagues about the animal.

Comments

Copenhagen said…
Poor baby whale...I hope he/she will be returning home safely.
Alexa said…
This IS sad! I lived a big chunk of my life on LI and never heard about baby whales doing this. Surprising and depressing—where was this little one's mama?
Pietro Brosio said…
Lily, your nice image well depicts that sad scene.
BLOGitse said…
sad but thanks for sharing...
Anonymous said…
It is sad to see them beached like that.
Nature can be so very cruel.
Martha Z said…
An appropriate post and thanks for the follow-up. It is part of life but it would be good to know if the beaching was natural or do to human activity.
Anonymous said…
I thought Dolphin as soon as I saw the picture, looked just like one I saw beached years ago at Orient Point. I wonder why it beached. PGma
luvmyboys said…
That's so sad.

I think it would be a good idea for beaches to post that information somewhere on premises about who to contact if you find cold-stunned turtles, whales, dolphins, etc.
Ian France said…
So sad, but your son's right - every island has its sad moments that give it character, and honestly make it what it is. Beautiful pic though, like Pietro said - it well depicts the sad scene.
Priscilla said…
Sad picture, but a good one because of the simplicity and long swaths of color and sky.
bobbie said…
So sad to see any creature like this. I'm rather glad the authorities don't allow people to get too close. It would cause distress if the whale/dolphin was still alive, and I don't think it's appropriate for a crowd to gather around anything or anyone who has died.
Anonymous said…
Although sad, it reminds me of the time I saw a seal jump onto an iceflow at the beach during the winter. That is one of my most fondest memories. About two weeks ago there was a report of a humpback whale off of Rockaway Beach. JenK
dianasfaria.com said…
truthfully, I don't know if this dolphin died or not. I'm hoping he somehow got back to sea.

I think Luvmyboys is correct in that it would be good to post emergency telephone #'s at the beaches. That is why I posted the follow up with the # here. I now have it on my cell phone.

Jen, I saw those photos of the humpback whale. It was huge! & amazing.
Oh ...so sad but yes, a part of life. He/she must have been ill or abandoned by it's mother.
Anonymous said…
Awww! So sad. Your son was right about posting this photo, though. So, please send thanks to him.

I'm glad you called someone regarding the poor dolphin and it's good to know the proper authorities to call in the future. Thanks for the info.

Paz
Morty said…
The grittier side of nature, and a wise decision to post this. It's glimpses into true life like this that keep it real to those from afar.

Popular Posts