times square sky in new york city


please click on the photo to get a better view of the ball


can you see the famous new years eve ball resting at the bottom of the flagpole? it's the glowing ball atop the toshiba sign. I was in times square last night thinking I should take a picture of this sky filled with brightly lit up buildings when I looked up and noticed the ball. for some reason I thought it was taken down every year. I did a quick search and found that the organizers of our last new years eve celebration decided to keep the ball in full view year round. another interesting tidbit I found is that 1,728 crystals on the ball feature an angel with arms uplifted to welcome the new year. the waterford artisans from Ireland who created the ball call the design, "let there be joy". to see more interesting skies from all around the world, please go here, thanks to klaus & his skywatch team, sandy, ivar, wren, fishing guy and louise.

Comments

chrome3d said…
When there is so much going on, I´m not sure if I spot anything! Thanks for sharing your busy view.
Pietro Brosio said…
The famous Times Square in New York: I've been there many many years ago with a package tour and would like to return! Very nice image, Lily, an excellent photo for Sky Watch.
I had to enlarge the photo several times to finally find the ball. I sure thought it was a lot bigger than that! Nice photo, I really enjoyed looking at everything in it. Thanks for sharing. Seems like a very exciting place to visit.
Quite a unique information! I didn't know that :)

Forehead Stamp
Sylvia K said…
Fabulous photo! Reminds me of my visits there! Perfect for Sky Watch! Have a great weekend!
bobbie said…
Great picture! Times Square is a fabulous place for a photo!
BLOGitse said…
yes, yes - more city pics with people!!! :)
I have always wondered why I love NY. When I go there I will know.

Regards

Valery

Barcelona Daily Photo
Trujillo Daily Photo
Great night shot. Not many of those this Skywatch Friday tour. How long does it take you to get from Times Square to LONG ISLAND?
Daryl said…
NICE! one of my favorite views
Deb said…
great photo! Busy place times square
Janie said…
Interesting that they leave the ball up all year. I think I see it up there.
Nice city photo. Plenty of hustle and bustle.
Ruminations said…
So much to see in this photo ... I would have missed the ball entirely if you hadn't pointed it out.
Hugs and blessings,
Linda said…
Great glimpse of all this city energy.

Popular Posts