the starn brothers take over the roof garden at the met



sunday morning I drove into manhattan to see the starn brothers "big bamboo" installation at the metropolitan museum of art's roof garden. I wasn't disappointed. if you like interactive art exhibits, you'll love this. it is not only a visual delight it is also physically challenging since you need to navigate through the bamboo jungle in oder to get to the exit. and if you are so inclined, you may also climb up inside the structure following a path of sorts that takes you 110 feet above central park and in some places, 40 feet above the garden itself. I didn't get to do this since I was wearing sandals. anyone wanting to climb up the bamboo paths must be wearing flat rubber soled shoes, like sneakers. there is also a whole list of other rules one must follow. the most stringent - not being allowed to take cameras or handheld devices on the tour for safety reasons. now that's a tough one. according to the starn brothers, this structure will evolve over time much like a living organism. this means it may look much different by the time I get back there with proper footwear - I can't wait.


to share a part of your world or just see more of others, please go to "that's my world tuesday". thanks to klaus for hosting with his team of helpers, sandy, wren, fishing guy and sylvia. 




Comments

Such an unusual exhibit! I hope to get over to see it soon, Lily.
Louis la Vache said…
Interesting indeed! Did you spot any pandas amongst the bamboo?

;-D
Pat said…
That's neat. But both the height and the 'no cameras' rule would make me stay on the ground.
Unknown said…
cool exhibit! bringing a part of the jungle into the city.:p this looks like my playground at my grandfather's backyard when i was a kid.:p
LadyFi said…
Now that IS a great idea!
KaHolly said…
WOW! That's quite an exhibit. Very unique! ~karen
Thérèse said…
Unique! I would certainly go...
Have fun next time you go.
Lois said…
Looks like you had some great weather too!
Daryl said…
Well, when you come back you better call/email me so I can come with and chronicle your climb .. I am serious!!!!!
Sylvia K said…
That is an amazing, unusual exhibit! How fun! Hope you get to go back and take more photos. Have a great week, Lily! Enjoy!

Sylvia
Jiggy said…
Nice big bird's nest!
bobbie said…
This is pretty weird. Could be fun.
Anonymous said…
very interesting!

paz
Alexa said…
How cool! I will definitely have to check that one out. But no camera? Seriously? That would be very hard!
(You got some great shots anyway.)

Popular Posts