backyard grapevine




























we inherited this grapevine when we moved into our home. I know very little about the different varieties of grapes that can be grown so I did a quick search. one thing I was surprised to learn is that you can make red wine out of green grapes, like the ones pictured here. I have never used the grapes in our backyard for anything. I do notice when I am cleaning them up off of the grass and walkway they have a vinegar type of smell. my husband actually ate a few and said they were very sour. despite his distaste for them, he takes care of this amazing vine & I would venture to say we easily yield twenty five pounds of grapes from this old beauty every summer. I wonder if anyone on long island actually makes something out of the grapes they have in their backyard.

Comments

Pietro Brosio said…
Splendid image and very nice blog.
I enjoyed the "birch tree", the "seagull on the beach", the "empire state building", and all the others.
Louis la Vache said…
"Louis" wonders if those grapes are the Catawba variety.

Regardless of the variety, this is a lovely image.

Re your comment Chez Louis, "Louis" with his toy Olympus, hardly qualifies as a professional, so he should look into those contests. "Louis" thanks you for the suggestion.
bobbie said…
I'm sure many people use them My husband was raised in Hempstead. They had grapes. His mom made grape ketchup. I can't imagine that myself, but he loved it. Purple ketchup!
dianasfaria.com said…
Thanks Pietro, so nice to hear!

Louis, your pictures are beautiful so I am sure you have a good chance.
; )

Bobbie, what a cool story. I bet it was healthy too! I love those kinds of stories. maybe I should learn something to do with ours...
Double Hawk said…
The way the light hits the grapevine is so pretty!
Anonymous said…
Wow! I think it's really cool that you have your own grapevine growing in your yard. You should try to make some wine. That would be interesting *big grin*

Paz
dianasfaria.com said…
Thanks DH, I'm glad you like it!

You're funny Paz!
Ian France said…
Red Wine's supposedly good for you - all you need are a couple of barrels, a big basement...
Thérèse said…
It would be worth it to ask a close nursery what to do with them...
It looks wonderful!

Popular Posts