bridges to robert moses

please click on this photo if you would like to see greater detail

if you want to get to the fire island national seashore by way of car from the more eastern part of long island you most likely will pass over three bridges. in this picture I am leaving the beach going over the third bridge. note the bridge next to the one I am traveling on. that bridge is for cars heading towards the beach. they will have to pass over a smaller bridge and then a larger bridge like this one except that it will have two way traffic. sometimes when there are tons of people all going to the beach at once they shut down the two way traffic and make it so both lanes are heading into the beach. last sunday when we left the beach at around 12:30 there was traffic backed up over all three bridges up to where the parkway began. we felt really sorry for everyone who was stuck in that. just thinking about being stuck in traffic on a bridge makes me feel claustrophobic. we also felt very lucky that we got off the bridge before they shut it down and we would be stuck waiting.

what is the worst traffic jam you have ever gotten in?

Comments

bobbie said…
We miscalculated once and got onto the Verrazano just before the NY Marathon began. Had to sit through the entire crowd of racers passing by. Fortunately for my young daughter the man in the car ahead of us was a magician, and he entertained her the whole time.
dianasfaria.com said…
What a great story!
You must have been stuck there for hours, no?
Morty said…
Again, your timing is impeccable! The worst jam I was ever in dates back to the Summer of '87. I recently outlined those adventures of my rowdier days in a blog titled "Awry: pronounced orrie." It was on the Eastbound side of Maryland's Route 50 heading towards the shore at roughly 9am on a Saturday morning. We WERE stuck on a bridge for some amount of time. It was one of the most exhilarating experiences I've ever had in traffic. I don't know how I would feel about that now, but at the carefree age of 24 it was a blast! Feel free to peruse the tale, and see some pix as well. THIS PIC is gorgeous. The Robert Moses Causeway is one of my favorite Long Island roads.

Morty!
Anonymous said…
I remember when there was only one bridge where the two bridges are now. Picture that with today's traffic. We never go to the beach on the weekend. Plus seniors don't pay for parking after 4 pm. Nice pic. PGma
Ian France said…
I like the way the bridges are positioned according to the horizon line of the picture. Very interesting to look at especially when enlarged and you can see the cars driving off into the distance.
Ian France said…
P.S.

The worst traffic jam I've ever been in was actually on the way to the beach. I ended up going listening through two Jethro Tull albums.
Anonymous said…
Looks like a nice day. Hmmm... Can't really think of a traffic jam, in which I've been.

Paz
dianasfaria.com said…
I read your story Morty.It was good. It's funny how youth changes the way one perceives things.

Thanks for the compliment Arnold. We have something in common. I like Jethro Tull too.

PGma, I can't imagine how one bridge would work!

Hi Paz, yeah, I bet! The city is crowded, but everything generally keeps moving. Though I have been stuck in the subway a few times...not a good feeling!

Popular Posts