rainbow over hempstead turnpike






















I am fairly certain this is my fourth rainbow- if I'm not counting the ones I've made with the garden hose in the summertime. It had just stopped raining as we were driving down hempstead turnpike when suddenly I noticed these brilliant colors to the right up in the sky. for a few seconds I was like, what is that? as I continued to look, I realized, wow! it's a rainbow! and it's a huge rainbow as well. we were actually driving toward a glorious arch of color. I felt like God was saying, look at what I have for you. I was lucky I didn't get into a car wreck because this rainbow proved to be very distracting. I kept asking my passengers, "is anyone else noticing this, do you see anyone else looking up?" ian said he thought the people next to us noticed.
photo courtesy anthony


Comments

Fashion Schlub said…
Ha, I photographed the same rainbow this evening! It's my daily photo from Islip....
Pietro Brosio said…
This is one of the kinds of photo I like: very interesting image.
Pietro Brosio Gallery
Anonymous said…
Beautiful! I've never seen a real live rainbow before. Only in photos.

Paz
bobbie said…
Of all places - over Hempstead Tpk. I love rainbows, and haven't seen one for a while. You made a nice capture, especially considering you were in the car.
Fashion Schlub said…
you were heading east, yes? so was I. but me being further east than you, seems weird that yours would look so much larger. i guess they're probably not the SAME rainbow...especially cuz, now that I think about it, you probably saw yours much earlier, as the store still had to travel east to islip.

well, hey, STILL, spottings of TWO two-ended double rainbows on Long Island on the same day, is pretty amazing!

and what's really funny is I'd just commented on a friend's blog from colorado yesterday morning - she'd shot a BEAUTIFUL double rainbow, so bold and strong - that we NEVER saw anything like that here - and then, like 10 hours later, bam, there it was! Here's hers http://365daysonthedryside.blogspot.com/2008/08/elusive-double-rainbow.html

crazy coincidence! a friend said I should play the lottery - so I did!
Kay said…
I just love rainbows. Is this your Sky Watch photo. I love it.
Double Hawk said…
Makes Hempstead Turnpike look almost magical.

Popular Posts