Thursday, October 2, 2008

autumn in the suburbs




does anyone know what kind of tree this is? I think this type of ornamental tree typifies what the suburbs are all about here on long island. if you take a good look around all the different
neighborhoods, you will notice a lot of variations on the same theme. everyone seems to be carving out their own slice of paradise in their own unique way. I was walking around the corner when I came upon this pretty little bright spot of a tree. I imagined that whoever planted this found great pleasure in doing so.
sonia over at leaves of grass started an ecological day the second day of each month. I joined in late but couldn't resist seeing that it turns out I posted a photo of a tree today! Go here to see some beautiful & informative posts. many are in other languages but the sites are equipped with translator buttons so you can read them.

15 comments:

Louis la Vache said...

'tis time for fall colors! We get very little of that here in the Bay Area - the year-round temperature average is 65º!

Pietro said...

A charming tree, indeed. Nice photo, great atmosphere, Lily.

Lydia said...

A darling tree with a nice corner to show off as the colors turn.

Islipian said...

I'm thinking a weeping birch? I can't quite make out the leaf or trunk/bark, but that's what it looks like from here :-)

luvmyboys said...

I love fall! Great colors in that picture.

My neighbor has a weeping cherry, but it hasn't changed colors. My first thought was weeping willow, but I'm not much of a tree expert.

roentarre said...

Wonderful photograph. Really nice shot in deed.

Babzy said...

it looks like a mushroom ;)nice colour !

RAMOSFOREST.ENVIRONMENT said...

How a beautiful tree color. Great Nature.

Elizabeth said...

Good to see pictures of LI where we lived for many years and our children grew up.
We are now mostly in NY - though I often visit England.

Paz said...

It's never too late to join. Glad you did. ;-) This IS a pretty little bright spot of a tree! Very nice.

Paz

mari said...

I look at that and feel so jealous. We don't get those beautiful east coast autumns here in southern California. So I love, LOVE, looking at photos like this. (too bad about the Mets, by the way, but that's another post, I guess...) Happy E-Day!

Denise BC said...

Hi, is a very interesting tree, it seems that the branches born upside down here in Brazil we have equal or similar, I do not know whether you need the same kind, but where I see, I have a feeling that is planted reversed, very good.
I thank the gentle visit.
hugs, Denise

bobbie said...

Whatever it is, it is lovely.

Ming the Merciless said...

It looks like ornamental/dwarf Japanese maple but I'm not 100% sure.

I can't believe it's already turning yellow. Fall is definitely here.

MmeBenaut said...

I think it might be a weeping birch?? Is the trunk a silvery/white?
It's not a willow as the leaves are the wrong shape.
Lovely catching up on your photos!