vintage parade...

please click on photo for greater detail.



on main street in farmingdale. inspired by the frequent black and white photos over at kitty's new york portraits and the vintage places and things ken mac likes to photograph for greenwich village daily photo, I started digging through some of my old photos from childhood taken here on long island. I'm guessing this was taken around 1969.
my brother and I are actually waiting for our older brother to march by us with his cub scout troop. you can barely see us over on the right there, he's blond & I'm wearing a plaid jumper.
I found it enjoyable noticing the assorted vintage details like the old cars, signage and the style of dress. check out the boots the marching girls are wearing.
and this may be hard to believe but the moby drugs pictured here is still in business!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Spotted that Krug noggin as soon as I clicked over here! Great photo.
bobbie said…
This is a delightful old photo. Thanks for the memories.
Kitty said…
aw thanks for the mention!
it's funny to think of the time people used to spend waiting for film to be developed.

I have to say when digital cameras first came out, I didn't like how quickly we got the photos back. To me, it spoiled the fun.

Love the Moby sign!
tr3nta said…
beautiful photo d'epoque...
is it from the 50's?
Morty said…
Great picture! I love the old style signage and storefronts. What a fabulous throwback to a far simpler time.
Anonymous said…
Priceless... I marched in this same parade many times, probably between 64-69 w/ Brownies and Girl Scouts... weren't there also HAWKS parades.. can't remember. anyway, thanks for the fond memories. Great picture by the way! I also love seeing the older details...

and yes, my mom still uses Moby Drugs to this day!

fellow Fdaler
Louis la Vache said…
"Louis" is happy to read that the old drug store has survived. He noticed the '63 Rambler. "Louis" likes these nostalgia shots! Good job!
Ian France said…
That's a great photo, almost Norman Rockwell-like.
Anonymous said…
Very nice photo! It IS a wonderful memory you have. Interesting that the drugstore is still there. That's a good thing. ;-)

Paz
slim said…
Wonderful vintage photo. The parade line ties in with today's theme day as well ;)
dianasfaria.com said…
I'm glad everyone liked this photo, I always worry...

tr3nta, I think it was taken around 1969.

Hi Lynn, nice to see you over here!

funny you should say that Kitty, I too balked at digital photos. I'm still very attached to my old 35mm.

thanks for stopping by fellow f'daler & yes I remember Hawks parades too. I think they still have them!

Welcome Slim and thank you too.
Pietro Brosio said…
Great old image, Lily! It's really fabulous!
You should make a copy and send it to Moby. I bet the owner of the store will be thrilled to bits.

Popular Posts